Recently, the intermittent fasting diet has spread among those who want to lose weight. Most people tend to follow the intermittent fasting diet due to its ability to lose weight in a short time compared to the rest of the diet. Such as low carb diet, Keto diet, etc. However, before you follow it you need to know the benefits and harms of the daily intermittent fasting diet. What are the most types?
This article provides everything you need to know about intermittent fasting to start it immediately.
What is the intermittent fasting diet?
Intermittent fasting is a diet that mainly relies on avoiding eating for certain hours during the day or for specific days of the week. It has several forms and methods.
The most common form of intermittent fasting is eating only during the 8 hours of the day. And fasting during the next 16 hours of the day, which is known as the 16: 8 diet.
It is possible to do a 16: 8 diet either daily or day after day or during certain days only per week.
Intermittent fasting is an easy-to-follow and effective diet, especially since it does not include many rules or food restrictions.
What are The benefits of intermittent fasting To Lose weight?
Unlike other weight-loss diets, Intermittent fasting burns the accumulated fat Inside the body.
It burns all sugars and carbohydrates daily. Thus it relieved the body from the harmful cholesterol in the blood as well as extra fat.
The benefits of this diet summarized as below :
Help to burn the extra fat
This diet helps reduce the amounts of food absorbed during the day. Thus it decreases how many calories should you eat a day. Moreover, intermittent fasting helps to improve metabolism and burn body fat.
Slow down aging
Some studies have found that intermittent fasting can significantly delay the aging of the body and the signs of aging.
Improves blood sugar levels
This diet helps to improve insulin levels and blood sugar. Also, it reduces the chances of developing diabetes.
Is there any harm to doing Intermittent fasting?
Intermittent fasting diet could lead to some side effects as following :
- Headache: But with getting used to this diet your headache will be less, and you can avoid it by consuming too much water during the fasting period.
- Feeling lethargic: You have to do some exercise such as running or yoga, or getting enough sleep.
- It causes constipation and bloating.
- Burning your mouth throughout the fasting period: This can be avoided by avoiding fatty foods and hot spices while following this regimen.
Types of intermittent fasting diet
The human body usually needs to eat 3 to 6 meals a day, and 8 to 12 hours to use
Glycogen stored in the body.
Fasting, in turn, comes to work on stored fat. The duration of fasting should not be less than 8 hours. For example: eat dinner at seven in the evening, then eat breakfast at eleven
The next morning.
However, you should be careful, that your diet depends on fruits and vegetables and drinking water Regularly. Also on minerals, vitamins, and proteins.
Therefore, what are the types of intermittent fasting?
Based on the Health line, there are few popular ways to do intermittent fasting.
The 16/8 method
- This method includes daily fasts for 14-16 hours and restricting the daily eating period to 8-10 hours.
- You can eat two, three, or more meals during this period.
- Doing this fasting method can be as simple as eating nothing after dinner and skip breakfast.
For example, if you finish your last meal at 8 pm, don’t eat until the next afternoon.
- You are fasting for 16 hours.
- You can drink water, coffee, and calorie-free drinks while fasting. This helps reduce the feeling of hunger.
- It is very important to eat healthy foods mainly while the eating period.
- This method will not work if you eat a lot of fast foods or a large number of calories.
Fasting for two days a week – 5:2 method
Intermittent fasting of type 5: 2 helps to reduce the number of calories consumed every week, especially during fasting days. This diet depends on choosing two specific days per week, usually:
- Men with this type of intermittent fasting only get 600 calories during the day of fasting.
- Women get 500 calories during the day of fasting.
- It is preferable not to perform fasting for two consecutive days, but to include days in which food is normally eaten between the specified fasting days. However, studies on the benefits of this type of fasting are still very limited.
This method is based on fasting on a day and eating normally the next day and so on. However, You may choose one of the following ways:
- Avoid eating any solid foods on the day of fasting.
- Eat a maximum of 500 calories a day.
- Some studies have shown that intermittent fasting with this method may greatly help in losing weight and improving the health of the heart and circulatory system, especially in obese people.
It is not preferable to follow this type of intermittent fasting by beginners or those with certain medical conditions.
The Warrior Diet
This type of fasting is the most strict and difficult of the methods mentioned above. It depends on eating very small amounts of food often consisting only of vegetables and fruits during a period of 20 hours of fasting in exchange for eating a major main meal at night during the 4-hour period in which eating is allowed Food naturally.
The main evening meal should contain sufficient and balanced amounts of carbohydrates, proteins, and other important nutrients.
However, it is important to know that the risks of this type of intermittent fasting are numerous, as the body may not get enough of the dietary fiber and some important elements, which leads to raising the chances of developing cancer and reducing the body’s immunity.